Monday, January 6, 2014

January 6th

Happy Epiphany----God revealed to the world through Christ.  This is exactly how we, too, are defined.  We are to be the revelation of God to the world.  Scary stuff. Big stuff.  But, as Scripture constantly reminds us: Be not afraid.  Christ is with us; the Holy Spirit dwells in us.  We can do this big thing---together---small piece by small piece.

This Christmas vacation I was reminded of a pretty important small piece:  We are called to live for joy. Living is not about winning; it’s about creating and experiencing joy.

I found myself at the dining room table with various family members playing a card game.  This could be dangerous territory.  I was born with quite the competitive gene, and not even a simple card game is safe.  So often, I play these kinds of game with one purpose only:  Win!  And win big!

This, of course, means that my goal is to make sure my family and friends who are at table with me lose and lose big!

So, on this night, I decided to try to play for fun....simply to enjoy the activity and the people.  It was hard at first to push away my every inclination to “go for the throat,” but I was very intentional and mindful about playing differently.

And, I had a great time.  Lots of fun.  I lost big, but it didn’t matter.

About a week later, same place, some new faces, same card game.  My intentionality to choose joy was nowhere to be found and I played to win.  So, I found myself tense, speaking unkind words, and not having any fun at all.  None at all.

When you play/live to win----goodness is limited to winning.  When you live for joy---goodness abounds.  It abounds.  And life is so much more wonderful.  And intentional.  Now, if I can just remember this lesson...........

"And there, ahead of them, went the star that they had seen at its rising, until it stopped over the place where the child was.  When they saw the star had stopped, they were overwhelmed with joy.”
Matthew 2:9-10

No comments:

Post a Comment