Tuesday, May 13, 2014

May 13: Who are we?

But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God's own people, in order that you may proclaim the mighty acts of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.   1Peter 2:9

This past Sunday, the beloved Psalm 23 was the appointed psalm.  So many of us can quote it, or at least paraphrase it, without looking at the words.  What a wonderful thing.  But sometimes, when we know a text of Scripture, we forget what it is saying.

So many wonderful acts of God happen around Intercession Episcopal, and the previous week had been one of abundance when it comes to God's mighty acts, so I thought it would be good if we put our beloved Psalm 23 in the context of how we live it out as a community.  I had too much material to work with, but that's a wonderful "problem" to have.  Here is what we proclaimed on Sunday, May 11th:

Living Psalm 23 @ Intercession One Week in May

Facing ongoing back pain and
surgery, a mother of four was given
the ability to feed her family this week
due to Intercession family members sharing their riches

The LORD is my shepherd; *
I shall not be in want.

One young mom lends a helping hand and
a friendly presence to another young mom,
bringing relief and friendship.

He makes me lie down in green pastures *
and leads me beside still waters.

Several women meet to share the grief and sorrow
of divorce; hope, friendship, and new life blooms.

He revives my soul *
and guides me along right pathways for his Name's sake.

Last Sunday, worshippers at Intercession gave $325
to help recent victims of tornadoes.

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I shall fear no evil; *
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

Friends gather to break bread, share fellowship,
laugh over dinner conversation and share joy on
Wednesday night.

You spread a table before me in the presence of those
who trouble me; *
you have anointed my head with oil,
and my cup is running over.

We gather each Lord’s Day to meet Jesus in the Eucharist
and to seek the opening of the Word.

Surely your goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days
of my life, *
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment