Wednesday, December 10, 2014

December 10: God alone


For God alone my soul waits in silence;
   from him comes my salvation. 
He alone is my rock and my salvation,
   my fortress; I shall never be shaken. 

How long will you assail a person,
   will you batter your victim, all of you,
   as you would a leaning wall, a tottering fence? 
Their only plan is to bring down a person of prominence.
   They take pleasure in falsehood;
they bless with their mouths,
   but inwardly they curse.
          Selah 

For God alone my soul waits in silence,
   for my hope is from him.      Psalm 62:1-5

I wonder......

I wonder what might happen if all the people who use Facebook, blogs, newspapers, and other social media to spew their rage against others in public forums (which only serves to fan the flames and encourage the spewing) stopped spewing and looked inward.

What might happen if, instead of raging at others' brokenness, others' faults and flaws, what might happen if each one of us looked inside?

What if we looked inside and found our own flaws, our own faults, and our own shadowy brokenness?  What if, instead of turning to a public forum to vent our indignant righteousness, we laid bare our hearts, spirits, minds, and bodies so that the Holy Spirit could restore our true righteousness that comes from being made in the image of God?  

How might the world change?  How might our hearts change?  What transformation might take place if, this Advent, this season of preparing for God to dwell within us, we became more preoccupied with our restoration and less preoccupied with pointing out the darkness in others?

I wonder.......

God alone my soul waits in silence,
   for my hope is from him.      Psalm 62:1-5

No comments:

Post a Comment