Friday, July 3, 2015

July 3: Two for one---days 8 and 9

I am sitting in the hotel room for the last night.  Bags mostly packed for an early jaunt (via Uta Trax) to the airport.  We just had our last meal together as a Diocesan deputation.  And what a wonderful group it was.  We are diverse--in age, in gender, in theological stances (not so much in race), and I wasn't sure how it was going to go (for me at least) to spend so many days together.  But, I can honestly say it was an incredible gift.  Their presence has changed me, and I believe for the better.  

One thing that has happened this General Convention that I was not expecting at all was this:  As a female Episcopal priest (fairly new---four years on July 9th) who is passionate about many items that get dubbed "the liberal agenda," I was set free.  Set free to be my true, whole, authentic self.  I was invited to worship with passion and abandon.  I was invited to share my voice and my beliefs---openly and honestly--and I was heard.  And, I was invited to listen to others' positions that counter mine---but in a way that wasn't condemning or self-righteous.  It has felt like I have come into my own here in these last 12 days.

Oh, don't get me wrong---I have a lot of growing to do.  And learning.  But, something has clicked here that I can't quite put into words.  I wonder if it will be noticeable?

One thing said at our gathering last night as a diocese is that part of the difference between this Convention and others in the past 10 years is that the fight is over.  Those whose views are the minority knew that coming in, and those whose view is the majority realized it very quickly (if they didn't also already know).  There was no need to brutalize one another with our words, our rejections, our vindications.  I am so glad I didn't have to see that---although I have felt and seen it in other places and at other times.  

This General Convention is about living into a new reality.  Yes, marriage is marriage in the Church--no gay or straight, just marriage.  Alleluia!  Yes, we made the structure a bit more nimble and ready to change (including preparing for Prayer Book and Hymnal revision).  I know we haven't gone as far as some hoped and we went further than some wanted, but as a body we were seeking to make changes that will enable us to live into this "Jesus Movement" our already beloved Presiding Bishop-Elect is calling us.  And, we began to put our money where our mouth is---evangelism, church planting, forming new disciples, raising up our young people and young adults---meeting people where they are instead of demanding they come find us.  EXCITING!  This is the stuff that makes my heart sing!  

Tonight the +Bishop asked for one highlight.  This is a hard request because there are so many.  Here is what I shared:  My "highlight" was all about the people on the margins.  I had two encounters (I wrote about one in this blog) with homeless men in this city.  Their presence, their eyes, their kindness and gentleness, it touched my heart.  Like the Grinch on the mountain when he realizes what it is all about, those few moments with those two beloved people of God made my heart grow larger.  And when the resolutions passed to change our definition of marriage and to offer marriage rites and the tears came to my eyes---but especially when people I love for whom these changes will make the most profound difference gave thanks for the work we have done in the church and how this will set them free----there are no words for that.  Well, maybe two: Blessed.  Grace.

These 12 days---yes, exhausting and long---but they have invigorated me and inspired me and filled me with hope.  Watch out Intercession Episcopal and Stevens Point. I am coming back on fire----aiming to fire you all up for Jesus!

Thanks for reading this.  I usually post my sermons here, but I think I may post a bit more regularly about a variety of things---but always about being a disciple.  This is what it is all about for me---following Jesus.  Knowing Jesus.  Loving Jesus.  Sharing Jesus.  It's such a richness and fullness and goodness. I hope you know this truth too; I hope it sings for you.  If not, I invite you to seek.  God is there, waiting.

With that, I bid you a peaceful and rest-filled night.  My your day on the morrow be filled with joy, love, goodness, and beauty.  Play well with others, make a positive difference in the world, always choose joy.  Jesus, we pray this in your name because we know you love it when we pray...........
Mother Jane


2 comments: