Wednesday, July 1, 2015

And it was the Sixth Day: June 30

Well, yesterday was the sixth day, but we ain't done yet.  Friends, before I share my thoughts and reflections on the day, I ask that you continue to hold all in prayer.  We still have much before us and your prayers for grace and guidance are needed and appreciated!

What happened on Tuesday:

  • After beginning my day with prayer and blogging, my day officially started with Eucharist.  Yesterday we celebrated James Weldon Johnson---he wrote "Lift Every Voice and Sing" which is the African-American anthem.  I love this hymn but had never encountered it until I went to Sewanee.  We sing it at Stevens Point's celebration of Martin Luther King, Jr. every January.  I hope to be able to sing it at Intercession this year.  It is rousing, beautiful and inspirational!
  • Our choir at worship was a young African-American choir---oh but it was soul-enriching, heart-lifting and delightful.  I hung out for about 30 minutes after the service ended because they continued to sing.  So glad I did; it was joy that was not to be missed.
  • As I arrived at the first session of the day, a joint meeting with Bishops about the Marks of Mission, I received the news that our grandson has a heart murmur and a few other issues.  It sent me into a bit of a tailspin as he has been doing so well (he was born prematurely two weeks ago).  I immediately texted my fellow deputies and the Bishop and asked them for prayer.  The deputy next to me responded immediately with a gentle hand and some kleenex (we were being addressed, so I was trying to refrain from talking out loud to them all).  A few minutes later, we were invited to have discussions in our small groups.  The Bishop called for prayer for Greyson, his parents, and me.  Have I told you what a wonderful group of people I am with here at convention? I was blessed as the Spirit calmed my heart.
  • We have a chaplain at the House of Deputies (who is so wonderful), and I was able to leave a message with him, so the entire House of Deputies is praying for restoration for Greyson and comfort for us all as well.  Again, the Church at work is a magnificent thing to behold and receive.  I pray this is a reality for you as well.
  • I had lunch with Meg, always a treat, and then I went back to the Thistle Farms exhibit to purchase a stole.  It is quite beautiful and the money goes to Thistle Farms ministry (which I have already spoken about in this blog, but if you don't know about it yet, go here: www.thistlefarms.org), and to a women's ministry in Ecuador where they make the stoles.  I can't wait to wear the stole on Sunday and share its beauty with the people of Intercession (whom I miss).  I love when my purchasing power is leveraged to help others.
  • Some of the members of our church family have had some serious health issues while I have been away.  It is always hard to be gone when you wish you were sitting at a bedside, holding a hand, and listening with another while you pray.  But, we have such wonderful people at Intercession who take their ministry to their brothers and sisters seriously.  All those in need are so well taken care of----living out the priesthood of all believers and the truth that we are all ministers in this Church!
  • Our second session was long, but productive.  We had a special section on the Governance and Structure. At the last Convention, the people called for restructure, and the committees have responded.  There was a lot of listening and questioning.  The resolutions do ask for significant change, but the beautiful thing is: we don't have to get it absolutely right this first time.  We can change it again in three years if it is not working---or tweak---or adapt. After all, there will always be some change and need for flux in the church.  We did not vote on the resolutions last night, but should do so today.  Pray.
  • The second round of resolutions about marriage come before us today; they have already been approved by the Bishops.  One is about changing the canon and one is about the liturgical rites to be offered.  I pray our discussions are filled with grace and that we continue moving forward to allow all members of the Body of Christ to live out their full and holy personhood within the Church.  Pray.
  • The Sewanee dinner was last night; it was lovely.  Good food, met a lot of people (as I am one of the few from the Midwest), and heard about Sewanee's plans to put the seminary back in the center of the Campus.  A long day, but wonderful in many ways.  I pray your day was the same.


Well, I am off for day Seven.  No rest afterwards, but that's okay.  We have much work to do and with which great people to do it.  I continue to experience such grace as I am confronted with those with whom I disagree, those who may make me uncomfortable, those who "rub" up against my rough edges.  I think it was St. John of the Cross who defined this community of faith, of disciples, as a bag of stones who rub each other smooth.  Thank you, Jesus.

You know what I say: Play well with others; make a positive difference in the world; always choose joy!  Peace and blessings from afar:  Mother Jane+

3 comments:

  1. In your absence we are behaving MJ+ ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, keeping Greyson in our prayers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for for the prayers (and behaving!)

      Delete