Tuesday, June 30, 2015

June 30: the day that was June 29

What a day it was yesterday.  I think I may finally have a grasp on this Convention thing, how it works, and how I should work within it. Whew! It's still sunny here in Salt Lake City; it is still hot.  And the Holy Spirit, she is a-comin' down upon the Church!

Here are my activities and thoughts for Monday, June 29th


  • I didn't have any early morning hearings to attend, so I got ready a bit more leisurely.  Very nice.
  • Without early morning meetings, my day starts with Eucharist----a pretty awesome way to start the day: worshipping with 1000+ people who are excited about Jesus.  The music at Convention is exceptional.  Not only is there a variety, but we also experience some new settings.  The "type" of music is a mix as well.  We are singing music that allows for people to sing their hearts out and be inspired by the lyrics.  I am definitely bringing this stuff home.  Not to mention an entire bag of information.  One of the best aspects of being here is visiting the booths and collecting materials, as well as collecting ideas and inspiration from others who are here.  We have rich resources in the Episcopal Church.
  • As we opened the Legislative Session, the President did address the need to move more quickly, and more than one person emphasized the process and how the resolutions go to committees and are carefully discussed and thought out before they come to us.  Also, if a resolution has already been approved by the House of Bishops and we make an amendment, then it must go back to the House of Bishops to be approved again.  Of course, if this is needed, it should happen, but we were asked to have some "legislative restraint."  Some amongst us seem to think that this is their 15 minutes of fame.....
  • After the first session, I went to lunch with Bobbi Kraft and her daughter Kaleigh.  Bobbi is about to start seminary, so it was fun to talk about the upcoming move and changes that are coming in her life.  It's weird to think that I have been at Stevens Point for four years already and that on July 9th, I will celebrate the anniversary of my ordination (also four years).  Time flies when you are having fun, and you live in a community of people who also want to know, love, and share Jesus.  God is so good.
  • We have a four hour session after lunch----kinda a hard thing after a good meal.  But, we tough it out.  Many dioceses also bring some of their alternates, so deputies can swap out a session or two (or in case a deputy must leave due to an emergency).  We do not have that luxury, so we are all in.  We really do have a great group of deputies who are thoughtful and prayerful about this Convention and all it brings to the table.  What a blessing.
  • Let's talk Marriage.  Several things happened yesterday surrounding this.  First of all, on Sunday, the Bishops passed the resolution which called for continuing the work of the Marriage Task Force.  This resolution is not very controversial at all.  We had given the Task Force a herculean amount of work, so there is more work to be done.  Also, in their previous work, they found that the Church needs to have further conversations about "holy relationships" and what the Church's thoughts might be on intimate relationships outside of marriage.  The Task Force found many younger people (and some older) living in relationships outside of marriage for a variety of reasons and the Church has been silent.  It seems wise to do further study and determine what we might come to understand about the larger picture which exists beyond "single" or "married." Even this seems to be non-binary.
  • When this resolution came to the House of Deputies to concur (meaning the Bishops already approved it), some tried to make amendments.  They were voted down.  There was a conversation that some may have tried to make amendments with the hope of killing the amendment itself by causing it to go back to the House of Bishops for approval again.  We will not know if that was the case.  But the House of Deputies was resolute and it passed.
  • A note about the House of Deputies: it is evident that people want change.  The majority of deputies here are demanding that we move forward differently.  The Spirit, she is a-comin' down upon us and She will have her way!
  • Far more controversial were the resolutions the House of Bishops were discussing yesterday. I got over there once during a break in the House of Deputies.  Two resolutions came before the Bishops: one to change the canon and one to approve marriage liturgy rites for trial use.  THEY BOTH PASSED!  Of course, with much holy conversation and prayer.  What a thing it is that this community comes together seeking discernment for the Spirit's moving.  What a holy thing this is; one of the major reasons I love this church.  We agree to live in the tension and to do so with grace (most of the time).  This means my house will take up these resolutions today.  These resolutions have been the main focus of my time outside of the legislative sessions.  I know not everyone agrees with me, but I believe  these resolutions are so desperately needed if we truly want every living member of the Body of Christ to be able to live fully and authentically within our community of faith.  
  • I skipped dinner last night (and our Diocesan wrap-up) to attend the Integrity eucharist celebrating 40 years of this organization.  Integrity was started 40 years ago by Dr. Louie Crew Clay; it works for the full inclusion of the LGBTQ community within the Episcopal Church.  Louie was a member of Intercession many years ago. However, his husband, Ernie Clay, never became a member.  Louie and Ernie were welcomed by some within the community, but not all.  Louie moved on to become a professor at Rutgers, but he never ceased his work in (nor his love of) the Episcopal Church.  At last night's Eucharist, Louie received a special medal in honor of his tireless work.  
  • I signed up to be in the choir at last night's Eucharist, so we had a rehearsal two hours before; it was so much fun to sing in a choir again.  And the music was amazing and uplifting---WOW!  
  • Most importantly, 45 minutes or so before the service began, I met Louie and Ernie Clay. I had emailed Louie once before, but I had never met him.  Such an honor; they are two of the most gracious and warm-hearted people I have ever met.  I shared greetings from people at Intercession who asked me to pass it along, and we shared stories and reflections about this Episcopal church we love.  My heart was so full to meet these two men who I have long admired.  In fact, as I recall it, tears come to my eyes.  To witness such grace and love as Louie has shown in the face of rejection is beyond any words I can put to paper.  Grace, grace, grace.  Thank you, Jesus for these two men and the gift of being able to meet them.
  • I wish everyone could have experienced this eucharist; it was so uplifting and filling.  Jesus revealed through Word, prayer, song, community, and sacrament.  Incredible and rich in so many ways.  In fact, Vicki and I didn't get back to our room until about 10:30 pm and I couldn't sleep---the Spirit was still singing in my body, mind, and heart.  Blessed beyond measure.  I love this Body of Christ we call the Episcopal Church.  


Well, I am off for another filled day of being the Church.  I pray that your day is lovely and filled with peace and beauty and the Body of Christ.  Listen to the witness of Jesus in your fellow human beings; take the time to reflect on what you hearing and discern the truths you need to wrestle with and contemplate. God is here, working among us.  How will you join in the work of God today?  

Jesus, I ask this in your name because I know you love it when we pray.........Mother Jane

2 comments: