Saturday, June 27, 2015

Day Three: We Have a Presiding Bishop Elect

Two historic days in a a row.  Almost more than my heart can take---so filled and overwhelmed with joy!

Here are my activities and thoughts for the day:


  • Began the day with blogging this morning because I was trying to turn my brain off last night and get more sleep.  It didn't happen, but maybe tonight.  It was really hard to blog about yesterday with all that happened due to the SCOTUS decision and the reality that many rejoice while some mourn.  
  • You know, I continue to go to hearings and hear a lot of personal testimony.  Since I am going to many of the hearings on the Marriage Task Force Resolutions, I am hearing a lot of personal witness from our brothers and sisters in the LGBTQ community.  I know some people here consider the "most compelling" arguments about these resolutions should come from one's understanding of Scripture and Tradition, but I want to make an argument for the personal witness we are hearing.  Frankly, our arguments from Scripture and Tradition are only going to get us so far---because we are a church of spectrums, and we don't understand either Scripture or Tradition in simply one way.  We differ.  So these arguments still leave us with a big gap.  And we have had 40 years of these well-articulated, scholarly arguments.  But this week (and throughout my life) I have been hearing another argument that bears just as much weight---the testimony and witness of our brothers and sisters in the LGBTQ community who speak to their experience of living out their authentic personhood as a LIVING MEMBER OF THE BODY OF CHRIST.  This means, that as a member of the Body of Christ, they are telling us what it is to be an LGBTQ member of the Body of Christ.  And they are saying: we have been oppressed, turned into second-class citizens, denied the sacraments, and made to feel "less than."  They are saying this to us as LIVING MEMBERS OF THE BODY OF CHRIST.  This means we are hearing Jesus' witness.....do you follow?  A weighty argument in my estimation.  And a privilege and blessing to hear it. And to take action based on it. May the Spirit continue to move and guide us.
  • Our eucharist today followed the readings for Cornelius Hill---a son of the Diocese of Fond du Lac.  We heard Native singers, musicians, and a Native preacher.  Gloriousness.  I wish I could truly put into words what it is to worship in this diverse and joy-filled body.  I love Jesus. Goodness, but I do.
  • At the end of the eucharist, we took some moments in silence.  Then Native flute music called the Bishops to leave in order to be sequestered in the Cathedral of St. Mark's for the election.  After a moment or two, the rest of us were called to depart by the native drummers and singers---singing a version of Amazing Grace.  I stool enraptured by their sound, the soul of their singing, the beat of the drums, the power of the music.  Blessed.
  • The House of Deputies began our session with a party.  We are the senior, the first, House of the Episcopal church (House of Bishops started 4 years later) which began in 1785.  It's our 230th Anniversary!  Celebrate!  Hats, noise makers, personalized M&Ms, medals to those who have given great service to the House.  A wonderful way to start the session.
  • About 12:45 we were told that the House of Bishops had elected a Presiding Bishop elect, and the committee to review the election was gathered.  This committee then meets and reports to the House of Deputies before we would vote to confirm or not confirm the election.  Bear in mind...we still don't know who (but we were all guessing Curry since it was so quick). We were supposed to end legislation at 1:00 for lunch.  The deputies told the President of the House that we wished to stay working in session until the Committee was ready to report.
  • When the overwhelming election results were announced (121 of 174 votes to the Rt. Rev Michael Curry on the first ballot----unheard of!): the house erupted. It wasn't supposed to, but people couldn't help themselves---not just the deputies, but also the hundreds of visitors who had gathered in the House to hear the results.
  • The House of Deputies confirmed the election with 800 ayes and 12 nays.  Over 98%.  We were granted a time to rejoice and did we ever.  We sang our prayer: We are one together, yo, yo, yo and then the Doxology.  I saw an African-American woman in the Pennsylvania deputation hugging a fellow deputy with tears in her eyes. The Rt. Rev. Michael Curry is the first African-American elected to the office of the Presiding Bishop.  Another historic day.  There is so much excitement, possibility, and hope running through this place.  I promise to bottle it and bring it back home with me.
  • We finally ended the legislative session for a break for lunch (okay, by now it was almost 3, but oh well....so worth the wait).  I went to lunch with our daughter.  So wonderful to share this all with her.  Oh, and I had Greyson (our new grandson who is in the NICU) on my phone internet....so he was kinda there too (a cool story for him someday).  When there's so much joy, it must be shared.  
  • 230 years ago, the anglo males who created this wonderful church probably never imagined these past two days: the granting of marriage equality to lesbian and gay couples and a female Presiding Bishop introducing a new African-American Presiding Bishop elect.  

“The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends towards justice.”---Martin Luther King, Jr.

  • Well, we ended the day with two more hours of legislative business---including passing a resolution with over a million dollars attached to it to address the persistent racism in our nation, our cities, and our culture.  This is no time to be timid; it is a time to take bold and definitive action.  May this resolution move us toward the Kingdom.
  • I decided to come to my room and write this blog, with hopes that in a bit I will walk over to St. Mark's Cathedral and pray Vespers on this historic day. I am yearning for the peace of prayer this evening.  There's a budget hearing, but I believe I will allow others to attend to that as I attend to the whispers of my soul for prayer. 

With that, I will quit blogging for the day.  I love this church---as messy and complicated as it is.  It is also beautiful and heart-breaking (in a good way).  And I miss my family---my husband, our kids (except Meg, of course, who is here) and our grandchildren.  But, I am here at home with another family---this beautiful, crazy family of Episcopalians who have shaped and formed me to know and love Jesus.  I pray that God grant you all a peaceful night and a beautiful tomorrow, and I pray this in your name, Jesus, because I know how you love it when we pray......Mother Jane+

No comments:

Post a Comment