Wednesday, June 24, 2015

June 24: Day Zero at #GC78

Hello from General Convention #78---Day Zero

That's right, even though the day for many started at 7 am, and I am finally blogging now at almost 10:30 pm, it's not even the first official day....that's tomorrow!

Anywho....here were my events (and thoughts) of today:

  • A morning walk with fellow deputy---great way to start the day
  • Prayer and coffee
  • A brief jaunt in the exhibit hall seeing a few friends from afar
  • Address by the Presiding Bishop (inspiring words from a person I respect and admire)
  • Address by the President of the House of Deputies (who is doing a magnificent job thus far!)
  • Sitting in the House of Deputies for the first time---way in the back row!  (which actually means we can walk around a bit, get water without disturbing others---nice). 46% of us are first time deputies and another 20% have come back for the second time.  New life, new blood mixed with those who have done this all before several times.  A good sign, I think.
  • Orientation to the House of Deputies (only really boring part was the teaching of how to use the iPad.  Now, it was incredibly necessary for many, but since I have had an iPad for years, I found it boring).
  • Lunch was a bit of a break and light meal in my room for sabbath.
  • Presentation of the nominees for Presiding Bishop.  Exciting and interesting---good candidates.  Well done, nomination committee!  On Saturday is the election and the confirmation---so pray for those things and all people involved.  My take:  I think the Church needs a visionary, an voice of proclamation, and an inspired leader who will be able to inspire others and lead us forward.  Therefore, while all four are gifted in meaningful and important ways, I think Bishop Michael Curry has what we need right now.  I might be wrong (as I often say), so let's let the Holy Spirit do her work because God will continue working through us no matter who is elected.
  • Brief time of conversation with my esteemed colleague and roommate, Pastor Vicki Natzke.
  • Attended the Integrity Gathering at another hotel and heard some inspirational leaders and met some fine folks.
  • Attended the hearing about the resolutions put forward by the Marriage Task Force.
  • Listened to my daughter (an intern for Integrity here at GC78) speak beautifully and wonderfully to the resolution---so proud she's our baby girl!
  • Spoke for the first time myself (quickly wrote out my thoughts so I wouldn't blabber--note to self, keep notebook at hand for just such a thing).  It was nerve-wracking, but I lived.  And I don't think I made a complete fool of myself, so that's good.
  • Listened to the committee hearing that followed---interesting to see the Church at work.
  • Returned to hotel to meet with fellow Diocesan deputies.  It is quite wonderful to be here where I can disagree with other deputies, speak to that disagreement, and still leave the room as friends who greatly respect one another.  Love this.  
Friends: God is at work here---empowering us to do the work God is already doing in the world.  Have I told you how much I love what I do?  Goodness, I love Jesus and all he does in, with, and for us.  Peaceful night and a beautiful day tomorrow.  Go and rest; God is still working.


No comments:

Post a Comment