Thursday, June 25, 2015

June 25: Finally: Day one!

Oh my goodness, it is finally day one.  Whew.  And what a day it has been:

Here are my thoughts about what I experienced today:

  • Actually, my first one is from last night.  As we left dinner, a homeless man asked for some help---money, of course.  I took his hands and smiled at him; he hugged me.  I asked what he would do with the money. He said, "Buy food, of course."  I said I was a little worried that the money might go to something other than his greatest need.  And he said, "Oh no.  I don't drink or anything like that."  Of course, I'll never know.  I just knew I had some money I could do without, so I shared it with him.  Some may think I am foolish.  He may have used it in other ways.  But, a gift has no strings, that's what makes it grace.  Besides, I think the connection we made by looking in one another's eyes and touching hands---that was the true gift and we were both receivers. There are too many homeless people here and everywhere.  If I am going to take a picture of Homeless Jesus (see the Church of the Intercession Facebook page) and ignore this human being in front of me.....I know it's not simple or easy and we each face the choice when we are confronted with the poor.  There is no easy or one right answer.  But, certainly, to make a connection, to spend a moment, to give a listen....that we each can do.
  • If I had a Fitbit, I would be totally winning with all the steps I take each day, but the sleep aspect of it would not be good.  Must get more sleep (she says as she writes this at 10:12 pm)
  • We had our first real legislative sessions today.  For the most part, the Virtual Binders (iPad with software to replace paper and physical binders) are working---and I think rather well.  I, for one, am glad that I don't have to wander through reams of paper to find the resolution or the calendar, etc.  There are glitches, of course, but I think it's working.
  • The Chaplain in the House of Deputies is fabulous!  Chaplain Lester Mackenzie had us on our feet with chanting/singing: We are One together: yo, yo, yo!  Clapping and joyous.  Good for the soul and a vessel for the Spirit.  He often ends a prayer with "And I ask this of Jesus Christ because I know you love it when we pray."  What a gift to us this man is.
  • Visited Thistle Farms exhibit here at GC. If you don't know about the Thistle Farms' ministry, go here: www.thistlefarms.org. I am excited to learn new ways I (and Intercession Episcopal) can support this good work.  Love Heals Every Body!
  • I also visited other exhibits and am collecting a lot of good information, thoughts, and connections.  So wonderful to have the opportunity to do this.
  • Saw fellow seminarians (not from my class, but others).  Great fun.  And also saw and spoke to Fr/Dr. Ben King and his lovely wife, Leyla, and Annwn Myers from Sewanee.  Joy! Another hug from Pamela and Sukey Byerly to fill out the day.  
  • Listened to a brief explanation about a new program--EQB--- that the School of Theology is beginning.  While I listened, there was a slide show playing with several photos of my classmates.  Goodness, I love those people and miss them.  What a gift to live in community like that for three years in such a place.
  • Saw my wonderful friend Patti Joy---and Joy is the right word to describe her and how I felt to be able to give her a hug.  
  • I went to legislative committee meetings and hearings on Marriage Task Force resolutions (this is what I am especially paying attention to here at GC78).  What a blessing it is to hear people's stories.  What a gift.  So many people have put in such hard work over many years.  And it all began (well, in the Episcopal Church anyway) with Louie Crew Clay who was once a member at Intercession Episcopal Church in Stevens Point.  Isn't life wonderful?
  • I am also getting to know my fellow deputies so much better which is really quite a joy.  I can be someone who rushes to a conclusion---especially with people who hold differing viewpoints than I do.  One of the ways God is working on me right now is to rub that rough edge a bit smoother.  Grace is required to build relationships and the Spirit is granting me such grace.  Blessed!
  • We had the first Eucharist today; it is wonderful to experience such fabulous and beautiful liturgy that the EC has with 1000 people.  I was fed by bread, wine, fellow disciples, joy, Word, proclamation, and presence.  Everyone should know and taste this goodness.
  • It is amazing how perfect strangers just strike up conversations---probably because we wear these badges, so even on the elevator you know you're talking to someone who knows at least a piece of your experience.  If only we could do this with any human being, since as fellow human beings we all know at least a piece of one another's experience.  Funny how it is happening here and yet we are all so cautious with all our important selves elsewhere.  Hmmmmm.
  • Have I told you how much I love Jesus yet today?  Because I do.  I love Jesus.  Even this Jesus I am seeing everywhere in this quirky, dysfunctional, messy Body of Christ.
  • Took some sabbath time in the Prayer Chapel.  Must do more of that.
  • Watched my premature newborn grandson on the NICU (neonatal intensive care unit) website.  Must do more of that. Shared my prayer of thanksgiving and life for him on the prayersofthepeople.org website for #GC78.  
  • I was fortunate to end the day with a meal with Diocesan friends (before a hearing) and then a day wrap up (after the hearing) with an even larger bunch.  The +Bishop and his wife, Leslie, are simply phenomenal.  I give thanks to God they are here---at GC78, but here in the Diocese.
  • Bishop Gene Robinson spoke at this evening's hearing.  He said something I believe rings true: God can work toward God's justice---even when the church doesn't come along.  God isn't limited to working solely through the church.  We often make snide comments about the church changing toward the culture.  What if society has a better grasp on God's justice, and it is the church who is having to catch up?  


Well, I am not naive enough to think this isn't going to get messier or harder.  I know it will. The really tough debates are yet to come---when it comes down to the nitty gritty of passing resolutions or not.  Pray for us, friends.  Pray that we leave room for the spirit to move and breathe in and through us.  Pray that we can set aside our personal need to be right in order to hear one another.  Pray that we can be present with one another.  I rest in the belief that God is at work and that God will work in and through us---even if we get it all wrong.  Resurrection, people, resurrection.  Death and fear never have the final world.  Like Thistle Farm proclaims: Love Heals Every Body!  May you all have a peaceful night and a blessed tomorrow.  I ask this of Jesus Christ because I know you love it when we pray.......Mother Jane+


1 comment:

  1. Our prayers are with you. Today is a day of celebration because of the SCOTUS decision, and I'm praying that TEC moves in the right direction while respecting all its members.

    ReplyDelete