Saturday, June 27, 2015

June 26, 2016: Love Wins

I will never forget June 26, 2015: the day SCOTUS declared marriage for my gay and lesbian friends could not be denied in any state of the USA.  I will never forget where I was the moment the announcement was made.  

It was early morning, and I was sitting with my daughter in a committee meeting on the Marriage Task Force Resolutions.  Therefore, many people in the room were very supportive of Marriage Equality, including my daughter and I.  Oh, the joy!  I began to cry for my heart was too full with joy for my friends who would now be able to know and experience and declare the same wonder and beauty in marriage that I know and have. For me, it was a most beautiful moment.

Many people were going around in the hallways and in the spaces hugging, rejoicing, crying with joy or simply walking with a big grin.  Many of those who belong to the LGBTQ community were calling their spouses so they could share this moment when their marriage was finally recognized as legitimate and could not be ignored any longer.  

About an hour later, it was time for Eucharist.  The musicians called for a special prelude to celebrate (“We are marching in the light of God”) and people began to march/dance in the aisles.  Needless to say, a joyous celebration of the Eucharist took place here in Salt Lake City yesterday morning.  The President of the House of Deputies, the Rev. Gay Clark Jennings, gave a rousing and wonderful sermon.  I am certain it will be posted---make sure to check it out.


On my heart and mind are all my thoughts about being here with brothers and sisters while we move toward the marriage equality that our nation has now secured.  Granted, most people here are so in favor of it that rejoicing resounded.  But there are some of our brothers and sisters who are saddened and upset by the ruling.  We cannot simply dismiss them.  I wish their sorrow had been recognized officially---although I know it was recognized by individuals and in prayers.  Yes, we rejoice with those rejoicing, but we must also mourn that some among us are hurting.  A hard thing to do.  I am not certain I know how to do it, but even a prayer during the Prayers of the People would have recognized the reality and spoken to it.

I am a deputy in a delegation of mixed feelings on Marriage Equality.  In fact, I am not certain I know where all of my fellow deputies stand on this issue, so I am not going to assume.  But, I am proud to say that more than one of them gave thanks for my joy.  And, since our daughter is an intern for Integrity (the group that has been working toward Marriage Equality in the Episcopal Church since 1975), I got one of the posters the group made to celebrate the decision.  I taped it to the back of my chair (which just happens to be what people first see as they walk into the House of Deputies).  No one in my deputation has minded or asked me not to do so---even those I know who disagree with me.  

During the joint session of the House of Deputies and the House of Bishops, we had small group conversations about what is working, and what needs to be changed at three levels of the church (national, provincial, diocesan).  The questions we were asked to discuss are legitimate, but having seen them only just before the discussion, they were hard to discuss.  We were asked to converse with other delegations (my half of our Diocese talked with Florida).  While I think the questions and the idea behind the small groups are valuable, due to the fact that we had not been prepared to discuss them, and we are not certain how the discussion plays into anything else, I am not convinced that this activity was worth the time it took.  On a fun note, my good friend's rector was part of my group, so a bit more of the connecting that only happens at family reunions like this took place!

Today the election of the Presiding Bishop will be happening---and the confirmation by the House of Deputies as well.  So many momentous things happening in such a short time.  But, as my Bishop noted on a post on Facebook---the Holy Spirit will work through this Body we call the Episcopal Church no matter what we decide.  

I have many thoughts spinning in my head (thus, not enough sleep is happening) about things and issues I am swimming in here at GC78.  Maybe later today or later this week I will be able to sort them out into understandable communication.  Stay tuned, friends.  And most certainly, I will share about today's election and confirmation.  Pray for the Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment